Name:
Location: MO

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

L is larger than XL

I was asked a question while at work today that I had difficultly in answering, particularly because I’m not that familiar with Roman numerals. The question was “what is the I.D. of ID?”. I tried to figure it out, but with no definite answers I had to consult my computer and do a little search on Google. From this I realized the answer to the question but I also learned more than I expected. D=500, L=50 and X=10, therefore ID would be 1-500 which equals 499. After viewing these Roman numerals I began thinking about my more familiar associations with these numerals. I frequently see an L or XL on the clothing I wear (I must admit that any XL's in my wardrobe were purchased by accident) and I realized that my XL is smaller than my L and not because of the way I washed them. I figured this out because L=50 and X=10 and if the X is first then it is in the position of subtraction. Therefore XL (10-50) equals 40 and 40 is clearly smaller than 50 which is what L is. See I’m not crazy L is larger than XL.

4 Comments:

Blogger JFC said...

D=500, L=50 and X=10, therefore ID would be 1-500 which equals 499.

Except, you build the number using certain rules that preclude putting a one (I) before a five hundred (D). Instead, you start with 400 (CD) and add 90 (XC) and add 9 (IX). Thus, CDXCIX. Though they don't use 'columns', or 'places', as in Arabic numerals, the numbers are still 'built' one place at a time -- thousands, hundreds, tens and ones, etc. A handy translator is here.

As an accountant, I can certainly express gratitude that we did not inherit our numbering system from the Romans!

(And, indeed, L is larger than XL.)

11:25 AM  
Blogger JFC said...

No one said it was supposed to be easy :)

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Several rules apply for subtracting amounts from Roman numerals:
a. Only subtract powers of ten (I, X, or C, but not V or L)
For 95, do NOT write VC (100 – 5).
DO write XCV (XC + V or 90 + 5)
b. Only subtract one number from another.
For 13, do NOT write IIXV (15 – 1 - 1).
DO write XIII (X + I + I + I or 10 + 3)
c. Do not subtract a number from one that is more than 10 times greater (that is, you can subtract 1 from 10 [IX] but not 1 from 20—there is no such number as IXX.)
For 99, do NOT write IC (C – I or 100 - 1).
DO write XCIX (XC + IX or 90 + 9)

12:54 PM  
Blogger Micah David said...

Jenius

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home